Download the requirements for the Cycling honor by clicking on the download link above.
1. Know by name and explain the purpose of the various parts of a bicycle.
2. Properly replace a blown inner tube.
3. T3. Do one of the following:
4. Adjust the brakes and front and rear derailleur properly.
5. Know and practice courtesy, safety, and rules of the road as they pertain to bicycling.
6. Why is it essential to always wear a cycling helmet? What are the rules in your city/town and state/province/country for wearing a cycling helmet? (both minors and adults)
7. Demonstrate your ability to read a road map or use a GPS course-mapping program, routing your 50-mile (80 km) course and following it accurately on the ride.
8. Have the following riding record:
Skill Level 1
Original Honor 1933
1. Have the Cycling Honor.
2. Describe how to select the correct frame size, handlebar, and saddle height to fit one’s body size.
3. Describe briefly all the desirable features of a bicycle used for long distance touring.
4. Take apart, clean, and reassemble the bearings in the front and rear wheels, head-set, and bottom brackets.
5. Explain and demonstrate the meaning of “BCD” as it relates to the crank.
6. Select the crank and rear sprocket combination that would give the best results under the following conditions:
7. Explain how the riding characteristics of a bicycle are affected by:
8. Make a list of desirable equipment items to be taken on a multi-day bicycle tour, including shelter and cooking equipment.
9. Review courtesy and safety rules used while bicycling. What are the rules for the road for cyclists in your local area?
10. What are the advantages of drafting? Know how to safely and properly draft.
11. Know the different clothing articles used in bicycling and the advantages of each.
12. List the maintenance checks needed prior to riding a 100-mile (160 km) tour, including items such as:
13. Develop a plan that involves hydration and nutrition that you will use before, during, and after a ride.
14. Have the following riding record while working on this honor:
15. Evaluate the 75-mile trip (120 km) or 100-mile (160 km) tour. Answer such questions as:
Skill Level 2
Original Honor 1976